Shaping the Future: Engaging Psychologists in the Evolution of the APA Ethics Code
This 3-hour workshop will examine the latest draft of the American Psychological Association’s revised Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct. The workshop will begin by providing a brief history and overview of the APA ethics program. The workshop will then actively engage participants in discussing the next version of the APA Ethics Code by examining the latest revision draft and statements made by the Ethics Code Task Force regarding the next code’s format, content, and framework. The goal of the workshop will be to formulate specific recommendations to the Ethics Code Task Force from the perspective of psychologists practicing in Texas, to ensure that Texas psychologists have an active role in shaping the next APA Ethics Code.
- Understand how APA has written and revised its ethics codes.
- Understand the role of adjudication in the APA ethics program.
- Grasp how the Ethics Code Task Force envisions the next ethics code.
- Examine the latest draft of the next ethics code.
- Formulate specific recommendations for the next ethics code from the perspective of psychologists practicing in Texas.